So what is butterkäse (pronounced “booter-keh-zuh”)? Think of the most deliciously tantalizing soft, cow’s milk cheese. It is very popular in Germany and Austria because of its creamy texture and, “Oh, man, is that buttery,” taste. Es ist sehr gut! It’s really good! Mix it with some slow roasted chicken that’s nice and moist and has all the juices just dripping from it and some delicious Black Forest ham, place them on some Brioche rolls, and, hier (German for “voilà”), a meal people will talk about for eons. Or at least until next year’s Oktoberfest.
Pulled Chicken Sandwich with Black Forest Ham and Butterkase
Time to Prepare
Estimated Cook Time
- 1 roaster chicken
- ½ lb. black forest ham
- ½ lb. butterkase (German butter cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 brioche rolls
- Set the grill or smoker to 325 degrees F with an indirect set up
- Cover whole chicken with a light coating of olive oil then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken on the grate with a drip pan under it for approximately 1 ½ hours or until the internal breast temperature reaches 160F and the thigh reaches 185F.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes then pull apart into a pan.
- Take any parts of the skin that are crispy and chop them up with a knife and add to the pulled chicken
- Pour some chicken drippings from the drip pan onto the pulled chicken to add moisture.
- Place a heaping amount of pulled chicken onto the bun then add layers of Black forest ham and thinly sliced butterkase.
- Enjoy with a Sly Fox Helles Golden Lager.